Wednesday 26 February 2014

THE EFFICACY OF HOW CREAMS AKA RELAXERS MESS WITH THE KINKS OF OUR BEAUTIFUL AFRICAN DIVAS.

       Am sure a lot of women would say oh she has started again oh! But abeg let me just spill this out as its an issue to address. I got a lot of mails from some beautiful ladies complaining about their hair being burnt and the after effects, which has made some of them  have some horrible complex about themselves and well the shame they feel. This burns was as a result over processed hair with relaxers. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn, If your graced with healthy relaxed hair, just thank your creators oh. Ok back to my story;  with a lot of research, I observed that loads of women really don't care about what is put into their hair, as long as its not kinky anymore and its so easy to comb, erhm ok permanently straightened. there used to be a time that me oh, I thought that if your relaxing your hair and it did not tingle a bit, it has not relaxed at all. Alas I was destroying my beautiful hair especially my edges *sobs*. It was not funny at all oh, as I started to look like iya eko with multiple burns. My favourite stylist was a major culprit as she was always begging me to hold on some more. Chei I suffer oh, the most painful part was that my hair never relaxed but my scalp always burnt irrespective of how expensive the kit I used was.
                                                                                     We all know the causes of chemical burns but do we know that some of  the chemicals used to make relaxers are actually used to make drain cleaners or they r used to unclog pores? Do we wonder why most of this very good kits always recommend that we use gloves? Or do we even think of the fact that relaxers are hard to rinse of your hand if you don't use gloves? Nawa sha, I bet we never ask ourselves why the relaxer shouldn't get contact with eyes, mouth, nose? Or do we even reason why this relaxers fry our hair like over ripe plantain? Lolz you sure don't wanna know oh. Relaxer burns causes blisters/ scalp lesions/scabs aka 'the fried hair' like I call it; that sticks to the burnt scalp in a messy way such that it breaks of if you try to peel it or mess with it.  As odd as this could sound, relaxers was actually invented by a black man who was actually trying to create a product for one of those sewing machine shops back then in 1910. He was making use of a particular chemical, when he wanted to clean his hands, he did that with a wool cloth and noticed that the chemical gave the cloth a very smooth and sleek appearance, sure you never thought of that sha. The chemical must have been bad ass lolz.
         In another form, excessive exposure to frequent burns leads to thinning of edges and napes for some people, hair breakage, split ends, over processed fragile hair, secondly this burns expose the body to the negative chemicals in the relaxers. If not careful, it could produce negative health effects in the body like horrible scalp infections. Thirdly, for those with extra sensitive scalp, the phthalates in the relaxers could flow into the blood stream through the burns which could lead to fibroids in some women, well I cant actually decipher the number or rather ratio of women sha. Trust me this is no joke oh, or let me use naija slangs- this one no be joke oh. The phthalates also increase the risk of developing uterine leiomyomata in very few women. Don't ask me ask Google naaaaaaaa. The most painful part of it all that touches me to my bone marrow is that it could lead to total/permanent hair loss in some women *sobs*.
       Okay let me bring the positive side of it, asides the stress free hair route, if its done well, you could still have a healthy head of hair, but abeg sometimes we just have to ask ourselves if its worth the stress?  While we see the beautiful silky hair as a better option, the health risks are never said to the general public. Very stingy mean people I must say. Biko information is meant to be shared. I should not tell you this but if u still opt to use relaxers, don't make it too often. Give your scalp space ooohhhhhhh. Or u could opt for more natural processes like applying little heat to your hair or *winks* u can as well go natural like I did. Lmao, no be force sha. Just a sisterly advice for my lovely divas out there. You all heard me, caution for your own self oh, Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment